Cheapest generators can be a great resource to have on hand. But with the many variables that go into this product, it can be hard to find the right one. That is why we’ve made a point of testing dozens of different cheap generators.
The 10 generators featured on our list today all perform very well. Some are meant for high-end buyers, while others favor those with more modest budgets. Each of these generators on this list is retailed at under $500 to keep you within a reasonable budget. In any case of a power outage, something in this article will be right for you. As we go through our indoor generator reviews the hope is that deciding on the right product will be a cinch.
Let’s take a look at the best 10 cheapest generators in the year 2022.
1. DuroMax XP4400E Gas Powered Cheapest Generators
About this item
- It has plenty of power – With 4,400 starting watts and 3,500 running watts, this unit can handle heavy loads, from lights and a refrigerator to a home air conditioner and high amperage power tools
- Powerful Engine – The DuroMax 210cc OHV engine is a workhorse that provides plenty of power to handle multiple jobs, from powering high voltage appliances to heavy-duty power tools
- MX2 Technology – Get the maximum power from each of the 120-volt receptacles. Choose between operating the Generator at both 120V and 240V simultaneously, or at 120V only with full power. Ideal for usage with RVs
- Low Oil Shutoff – Protects your investment by automatically shutting the generator off when it senses that the oil is low
- Fully Featured Power Panel – The power panel includes a wide selection of outlets for maximum compatibility in your applications including 2 120V household GFCI outlets and 1 120/240V 30A twist-lock outlet. The panel also includes a voltmeter and 12V DC charging ports for charging external batteries
- 2. A-iPower SUA2000iV 2000 Watt Portable Inverter Generator
2. Jackery Cheapest Power Station Explorer
About this item
- The Jackery Explorer 240 electric generator has been featured as the “Best Portable Power Station for use in the outdoors” by Digital Trends. A classic choice for your pick.
- EASY TO CARRY: This entry-level portable power station is equipped with a 240Wh lithium-ion battery pack, weighing only at 6.6 pounds. The solid handle makes it easy to carry around for outdoor adventures such as Tent Camping, Road Trip, Backyard Camping, etc.
- VERSATILE POWER SOURCE: 1* Pure Sine Wave AC outlet (110V 200W 400W Peak), 2* USB-A ports (5V, 2.4A), and 1* 12V DC car port to charge your road trip essentials such as smartphones, laptops, cameras, fans, lights and so on. Pass-through charging is supported.
- GREEN POWER SUPPLY: The power station can be recharged by the Jackery SolarSaga 60 solar panel or SolarSaga 100 solar panel. Its built-in MPPT controller enables the solar panel to operate at its max powerpoint for the power station to be recharged at its highest efficiency. TWO alternative ways to recharge: through the wall outlet or the car outlet.
- WHAT YOU GET: 1* Jackery Explorer 240 portable power station, 1*AC adapter, 1* car charger cable, 1* user guide.
3. ROCKPALS 250-Watt Cheapest Generators
About this item
- UPGRADED 250-WATT POWERFUL AC, USB, AND 12V OUTPUTS: Compared to similar battery-powered generators, Rockpals RP250W portable generator has upgraded the AC output to 250W continuous (300W surge max) dual AC outputs, built-in 2x USB 2.1A and 4x DC 12V ( 60W ) ports. Perfect emergency backup power for home/ travel/ camping, charging up your tablets, iPhone, iPad, laptops, fans, TV, lights, and CPAP machine (*Use DC converter from your CPAP would get longer hours)
- HIGH CAPACITY LIGHTWEIGHT LITHIUM POWER PACK: 240WH(3.7V 64.8Ah/12V 20Ah) lithium polymer batteries and weights 5.5lb. powerful enough to charge smartphones ( 2500mah ) 25 times, laptops ( 50W ) 3-5 times, 32″ TVs ( 75W ) 2-3 hours, mini car refrigerator ( 60W ) for about 4 hours, or other small appliances, lights, and more (AC output). This solar generator is also very handy to be put on your RV, camper and perfect for emergencies, camping, or wherever you need power
- EASILY RECHARGEABLE VIA THREE WAYS: 1)The solar generator can be recharged from the sun with any compatible 60W or 100W solar panel (SOLD SEPARATELY). 2) This battery pack can be fully charged in 8 hours by being plugged into the wall outlet. 3) The portable power station can also be charged by plugging it into your car 12V socket. (Car charger included)
- PURE SINE WAVE INVERTER: Better than modified sine wave and clean power like utility-supplied electricity. Inductive loads like microwaves and motors run faster, quieter, and cooler. Reduces audible and electrical noise in fans, fluorescent lights, audio amplifiers, TV, fax, and answering machines. And it is a gas-free source of portable power supply, it runs quiet (The cooling fan on the side of generator will make a slight sound when working), no exhaust fumes
- WHAT YOU GET: Rockpals portable generator (240Wh Portable Power Supply), 6.5ft / 2m AC adapter, 3.3ft / 1m car charger cable, DC to Cig Socket adapter, user guide
4. Firman P01202 1500/1200 Watt Recoil Start Gas Cheapest Generators
The FIRMAN P01202 generator features 1500 starting Watts and 1200 running watts. Power is supplied by our Max Pro Series 80cc FIRMAN engine which runs cool and efficient thanks to its Phoenix Fat Head Block. Our Whisper Series muffler keeps the P01202 running a quiet 63 decibels.
Well below the standards set by the National Parks Service, and our spark arrester has been approved by the USDA Forest Service. The industry-leading 1.7-gallon fuel capacity provides a whopping 12 hours of run time. Our rubberized Thresher handle makes recoil starting a snap – even with bulky gloves.
The FIRMAN Volt Lock automatic voltage regulator ensures clean, consistent power output from the FIRMAN Power Stream alternator. It’s easy to keep an eye on your power consumption with the FIRMAN voltmeter and standard Low Oil Shutoff Switch.
The durable, compact tubular roll cage frame design is built for years of use. Just add gas! Everything you need comes standard in the box including oil, funnel, owner’s manual, spark plug wrench, and two wrenches to remove protective shipping brackets.
5. A-iPower SUA2000iV 2000 Watt Cheapest Inverter Generator
About this item
- Produces 2,000 starting watts with 1,600 running watts of clean and safe power for sensitive electronics such as phones, televisions, laptops, and other electronics
- Complete with A-iPower’s “Low idle” technology for an extended run time of 4 hours at 100% load and 7 hours at 50% load
- Equipped with a low oil alert light and low oil automatic shutdown, helping keep your generator performing year after year
- A powerful 79cc OHV 4-Stroke engine provides an abundant power supply yet runs at a super quiet operation of only 52 decibels
- Lightweight and compact at only 48 pounds, making your tailgate or camping experience as smooth as possible
6. Champion 3500-Watt RV Ready Portable Generator
About this item
- Your purchase includes One Champion 3500-Watt RV Ready Portable Generator, 46596 model (EPA Compliant)
- Portable Generator dimensions: 23.2” L x 17.5″ W x 19.6″ H. Product weight: 99.2 lbs
- Specifications: Noise level – 68 dBA from 23 ft. | Volts – 120V | Gasoline Running Amps – 29.2 | Frequency – 60Hz | Gasoline Run time at ½ load – 12.0 h | No Parallel Capability | Voltmeter Included – Intelligauge | Gasoline Capacity – 3.8 gal.
- Outlets – A 120V 30A locking | 120V 30A RV |120V 20A household. Includes a low-oil shut-off sensor and has a 0.6-quart oil capacity (recommended 10W-30)
- This unit includes an internal AVR (Automatic Voltage Regulator), as well as a backup Voltguard to prevent overloads and keep your valuable equipment safe from voltage spikes
7. WEN 56475 4750-Watt Cheapest Generators
About this item
- Digital readout helps manage oil changes and maintenance schedule
- Features electric start, low-oil shutdown, an automatic voltage regulator, and overload protection to maximize safety
- CARB and EPA III meet requirements for sale in all 50 states
- Includes wheel kit and foldable handles for easy transport
- 223cc engine provides 4,750 surge watt and 3,750 rated watt
8. Briggs & Stratton 30680 Cheapest Generators
About this item
- Briggs & Stratton Power Built an OHV 208cc engine to run cooler and last longer
- Power Surge alternator produces a short surge of power needed to start large motor-driven appliances and tools simultaneously
- The multi-featured control panel includes 2 GFCI outlets and 1 RV outlet
- A 5-gallon fuel tank provides up to 14 hours of run time (at 50 percent load) without refueling
- 7 Inch Never Go Flat wheels and a fold-up handle for easy mobility
9. Aeiusny Portable Power Station, 288Wh/500W
About this item
- High Capacity：288WH(12v/24Ah)500w with AC-Outlet, DC port, and USB Outputs, the portable power station is a handy and good use for your travel, outdoor, camping or hurricane emergency life power outage, etc.
- UPS function: This is an uninterruptible power supply, which means it can automatically power your devices without shutting off even a power outage, a unique design that most power stations don’t have.
- Multiple Outlets：3AC outlets/4 DC ports/4 USB ports powerful portable battery to charge smartphones 40 times, laptops 8 hours, Drone, Mini-refrigerator, CPAP, small home appliances, etc. When you are in an emergency, it can be used as a backup battery.
- Lightweight and Portable:12.70*5.91*8.66 inch,7.05LB.It is the portable battery generator you want to keep around. You can carry it with you or put it in your car, super convenient.
- 3 Way Recharging, Eco-Friendly Solar Charge: Able to be recharged by Aeiusny 60W/120W solar panel(Sold separately). It also charges with an AC wall outlet(included) and DC 12v car charging.
10. Champion Power Equipment 3100-Watt Cheapest Generators
About this item
- Quick Touch Panel – Access all your controls in one spot, plus Champion’s safe design includes a low oil shut-off sensor and holds 0.6-quarts of oil (recommended 10W-30)
- Ultra-Quiet Operation – 58 dBA is perfect for RVs, tailgating, your next project, or backup power for your home, featuring 3100 starting watts and 2800 running watts with up to 8 hours of run time
- Clean Power for Sensitive Electronics – RV Ready with a 120V 30A RV, plus two 120V 20A household outlets with clean electricity (less than 3% THD) and a 12V DC outlet
- Smart Economy Mode – Can reduce the electrical load, providing quieter operation, extended engine life, and better fuel economy
- Champion Support – includes a 3-year limited warranty with FREE lifetime technical support from dedicated experts
Frequently Asked Questions – FAQs
What Kind Of Maintenance Do Portable Generators Require?
Portable generators are equipped with small engines that will require similar maintenance as lawnmowers and snow blowers. You will need to change the oil, air filter, and spark plug regularly, and make sure to add a fuel stabilizer if you are storing it for long periods of time. Always follow the manufacturer’s maintenance schedule that you should receive in your owner’s manual.
Can I Run A Portable Generator Indoors?
Running a generator indoors is out of the question, as most portable generators run on gasoline or propane. Gasoline and propane generators produce toxic carbon monoxide gas from engine exhaust. This exhaust must be properly exhausted or used outdoors to avoid exposure to these gases.
What Is The Quietest Generator Under $500?
One of the best choices for generators under $500 is the Champion Power Equipment 76533 generator. It has plenty of features that make it quite superb, including its immense power output. This generator delivers 3,800 watts and has a 3.4-gallon fuel tank, which ensures you have nine hours of run time at a 50 percent load with gas. Alternatively, if you’d rather use a 20-pound propane tank, you get 10.5 hours of run time and 3,240 running watts.
What you should consider before buying Cheapest Generators
I hope that you have gotten all of the information that you need to make your purchasing decision and I look forward to hearing your feedback. Hopefully, our reviews of the best cheapest generator have helped you zero in on the perfect product for your needs.
Buyers that want the best of the best will probably go for our top pick. The DuroMax XP4400E Portable Power Station Generator is a great product for people that don’t have much money to spend. However, you can buy any of these cheapest generator on Amazon above.
With 10 cheap portable gas generators under $ 500, it’s easy to find one that fits your budget. All of these generators are a good choice. All you have to do is find a gas generator that provides everything you need. We hope you find all the information you need to make a purchase decision.